Sunday, May 17, 2009

Grace

This morning Kat and I were in the car to go to church and Grace by Jeff Buckley was playing on the radio. I love it when a good song just starts when you turn on the radio. It's somehow so much more special then just putting a CD on and choosing the song yourself.



Jeff Buckley - Grace





Grace is something that I have an abundance of at the moment... it is by grace that I have been saved, of this I am sure. I saw better after today how unworthy I am of God's blessing and love. It's a wonder that God is still with me... it's a wonder that God is still with us all. I look at how time after time the Israelites in the Old Testament disobeyed God and how he still continued to care for them and love them and bring them back into relationship with him (though often this still involves judgement and unavoidable suffering). God's still doing it. For a wonder, he loves us that much.

We're the only people he has, he's the only God we have. We're stuck with each other... there isn't anywhere else for me to turn, God doesn't have any other people to love. He will go to the ends of the earth to bring us into relationship with him...

I love the nature of God. He is perfectly holy and righteous but also perfectly loving. I wouldn't want a God to be any other way... I don't want a fake God who is so fluffy and forgiving that his love is really just license to do anything I want. I don't want a harsh legalistic God though either, who has unattainably high expectations and standards that make me despair of being good enough. Instead I have a God who makes every effort to encourage and support me in times of trouble. He doesn't take away hardship - he transforms it. He doesn't take away the striving - because he is still a holy God - but he bridges the gap and sends his very self to live within us and help us to become more like him. What more could you ask? He is a perfectly holy and perfectly loving/caring God.


I think I'll leave these rambling thoughts there.

Cathrine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :)