Sunday, March 8, 2009

Waiting with The Lucksmiths

The Lucksmiths are a fun, laid back Aussie indie band. They have clever, often cute, lyrics but also lyrics that hit the truth of things. I've already blogged about "Stayaway Stars" and "What You'll Miss"... is it redundant to say it again?

I guess I could share this song:


The Lucksmiths - Guess How Much I Love You


You know I’m thinking of you
In the bookstore, in the laundromat
Guess how much I love you
Much more, more than that
Guess how much I love you
More than that

Here’s me
Here’s you
Draw a line between the two
This is cartography for beginners
On a map the gap’s three fingers
But it’s more than that
It’s more than that




I was singing it when I got home and had to then put it on. It makes me smile. I love the simplicity of the lyrics. It makes me think of my old place in Stanmore... going down to the laundromat, the bookstore, a pub in Balmain and the last little bit? Cartography for beginners...? It's cute.


Anyway. Sometimes I look for things to fill the space. Sometimes I make elaborate things. Is it because I don't want to relinquish control of that space to God? What would God do with that space? I fill lots of spaces with music, with dreams, sighs, hopes. I'm growing tired of the emptiness, the false feelings of full-ness. What can I create that is better than what God will provide? Unless I really just don't want God, which at times I'm sure is the case. I get the deal with the golden calf, but it is a massive spit in the face after all God has done and I do the same to God when I make my own idols.


So I play music and I smile at lyrics... but what I really want to do is find a quiet place to talk to God. Argh. It's like what they say, when God is in his proper place so is everything else.


Before I go, listen to this. It's beautiful:


Antony - If It Be Your Will




Night,

Cathrine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :)