Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A part of who I am...

Tell me secrets? lol

With people who are close to me, I'm willing to share pretty much anything. There is intimacy in knowing someone completely; understanding their ups and downs and good and bad traits. I think I've been disconnected from reality for a long while. I've been getting by from week to week. I've been setting my hopes on dreams instead of realistic goals. I've been content with dreams. Are they safer? If there is safety in foolishness, then yes.


My life has been given a shake-up. I want good to come of it. I'm starting the process of sorting out my Uni degree, getting my drivers license, working on my relationship with God and I want to use my time more wisely so I can attain those goals - as quickly as I can and not just drift in their general direction. What is love anyway if it is not acted upon? I love reading 1 John, it's full of full on love statements.

"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in His presence whenever our hearts condemn us. For God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything." (1 John 3:18-20)


Love with actions and in truth. How tempting it is to not follow through and leave our love and emotions on a superficial level. God says here that even if our hearts condemn us, God is greater than our hearts, he knows if we have acted in love and truth and if we have, it is okay. It's another example of our hearts not being entirely trustworthy... but love in truth and actions? Can't go wrong with those. I want to love God with more than words.


I also like this bit in 1 John.


This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world. (1 John 5:3-4a)


Incase I ever forget that it's not just about warm feelings towards God or good intentions, these verses are hammered somewhere in my heart. They condemn me when I want to skimp. I know it but I still fail in it. And I know also that His commands are not burdensome at all, and are in fact life-giving. It's the greatest trick of the Devil, to make you think God is a kill-joy and it'd be much more fun to this his way. At the moment my church is doing a series studying Exodus and we're up to the bit on the giving of the Law. Never before had I truly appreciated how setting down the Law plainly like that could provide so much freedom - freedom for peace, justice, mercy to enter into society. On an individual level, so much of what God teaches us is just plain wise and good for daily living, but also it is life-giving and through obedience God is able to do so much more in our lives to bless us. It's still confusing to me why I continually choose to put God aside for my own desires when I know so plainly that God always has better plans for me. So I know that Jesus has overcome the world, but have I? I know I still cling to too many things to really have overcome it. I know I could any time I wanted to though, and there have been blissful times when things have been God-centred, but I guess that's why I'm not sorted yet. I'm wanting to set those pieces aside and love God and put him first.


Dear friends. Music is beautiful... God is indescribably more beautiful. The joy of being one of his children is more than anything the world can provide. It's hard work fighting against this world to follow God though if you haven't first given the world up. I've tried lots of times, but never fully given all. I suppose I don't want to, despite it all, but I want to want to. That is my prayer. I want to see the glory of Heaven and I want to see God when I die. I know Him now... and how terrible to lose that which I love before I get the chance to see Him face to face?


I have everything before me to make this journey with God easy. Wonderful friends and an awesome church and a great job and a great housemate who is beyond awesome. I have a mentor who cares very much for me and a framework and lots of knowledge to help me understand what the Bible says. I can get there, it's just all on me to put in the hard yards.

Gah. I want this Easter to be a good one. :)

~Cathrine

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cat,

    Really is encouraging reading - just really true. We all need to choose to follow God, and when we can't do that, to ask God continually to help us. I'd like to come to the Easter service with you guys this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I'd be good to celebrate Easter with you. I miss CCSL for the reason that it was a House affair and we were all together. If we're all at St Johns, that would be grand. :)

    Thanks for commenting my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :)