Saturday, January 17, 2009

Why I create...

above all else, it is about leaving a mark that i existed:
i was here.
i was hungry.
i was defeated.
i was happy.
i was sad.
i was in love.
i was afraid.
i was hopeful.
i had an idea and i had a purpose and that’s why i made works of art.

- Felix Gonzalez-Torres



Why do/did i? I've made many things because I was in a dark place and had to say something though I couldn't say it to someone. I have a couple of things I really like that I've done but I can't put them up around my room because they're too telling. It would be nice to make something out of my happiness, but when I'm in those moments I never feel like pulling out my watercolours.

I'm looking at my old art links. Seeing which ones are dead. Many aren't. It makes me glad. This is a piece of fun.


Anyway. I'm reading Shakespeare. I'm starting with Henry VI. I'm enjoying it very much. It intrigues me that the people who lived in the 1600s had such a good grasp of history and politics that even in plays for the common people there is a deep level of sophistication in the politics of the plot. Having read a bit about the time period from my stint reading The History of the English Speaking People I know the 'characters' and what 'really' happened. There is so much in that time period that is both noble and tragic. I am glad Shakespeare wrote plays about them... it is history, but it is also incredible tales of bravery, stupidity, tragedy that are part of us as a people.


Last night I went for a walk. The house got too oppressive. I walked down to the creek and sang. You Go To My Head... Stardust... and in French - "Des mots qui ressonant" because the hospital near our house is called "Hirondelle", which means swallow in French and that song mentions a swallow. :P It made me dance a little inside, seeing the name of the hospital. I used to have swallows darting and diving over the lake and hill at Seven Hills and they were so much fun to watch. They went so fast and never bumped into each other. :) Swallows also remind me of the Happy Prince. There are a lot of good things that I associate with them, and to have the word written in French instead was a piece of gold in a bleak night.


Today I will garden... I have a backyard now and I'm itching to get my hands dirty. lol :)


A demain,

~Le petit chaton

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, Shakespeare is pretty awesome. Have you heard about the War of the Roses that is playing at the moment with Cate Blanchett?

    It is a whole bunch of the history plays edited and performed together. They do it in two parts that takes a total of 8 hours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, just read your other post which mentions going to War of the Roses (yay for you).

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha Yeah. Should be awesome. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are going too (at the end of January). I am pretty excited!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :)