Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Middle East

I'm so glad to be alive right now. The weather is beautiful outside and I just washed my car in the sunshine. I went out last night with Tom to see The Middle East at Manning Bar and slept over afterwards. In the morning I got to wake him up, have breakfast with him and fail at getting the last word in the crossword. I love those morning times with him. I'll gush. I could spend every morning content just eating cereal next to him while he does the crossword and I read the paper. I like those little jolts you get when you look up and are reminded he's there, like the rise and fall of a rollercoaster that my emotions ride. You can't always be rushing down-hill in love... but I love the little dips during the day when it all comes back to you in a rush that you are so very lucky.

Tom and I saw The Middle East. He has a mate in the band. They have two tracks that you can listen to on their myspace. They were so enchanting live. I felt enveloped in sound and was brought to tears by the perfection of one song in particular. The mixture of voices harmonised in such a way that they had this yearning kind of quality. I couldn't pin it down, it pulled at me and yet it was exactly where it should be. Their music too was delicate and yet firmly held together. I sensed strong musicianship driving their music, layers of sounds seemed carefully considered for the impact they had on the overall tone colour.

Haha.. I am still wrapped in my bliss-state. When they played 'Blood', the crowd seemed to also echo back the main melody and as it ramped up it was powerful to be standing in the middle of it. I love music that moves me. I bought their EP afterwards. I'd be very keen to buy an album when they put one out.

:)

I'm also excited to buy Nouvelle Vague's new album. Once I buy it, I'll write about it too you can bet on that.

<3

Cathrine

3 comments:

  1. There was a point in the song Blood where one of the singers was singing at the top of his lungs, tilting his head back and letting it pour out of him. He looked so happy to be right where he was.

    I was thinking, I know how he feels...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :)